American Advertising Federation Baltimore Scholarship Program
The American Advertising Federation Baltimore (AAFB) awards unrestricted scholarships to select students pursuing an undergraduate or post-graduate degree in advertising, communications, journalism, radio/TV, commercial art, photography, marketing, public relations or related advertising fields. Candidates are evaluated on their academic achievements, volunteer contributions to community and representative samples of work in advertising related disciplines.
- AAB Scholarship Fund: $5,000
- Carolyn E. Fugett Diversity Scholarship: $5,000
- Wendy & Matt McDermott Scholarship: $600
An applicant must meet the following criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in an accredited Maryland college or university
- Must be pursuing a degree or career in an advertising related field
- Demonstrate outstanding creative, technical or advertising business skills
- Demonstrate significant contributions to his or her community
- Maintains a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Must submit completed application by deadline
- Note: Prior AAF/AAFB scholarship recipients are ineligible
Scholarship awards will be recommended to the AAFB Board after careful review, evaluation and scoring by the AAFB Scholarship Selection Committee. Awards will be made primarily on grade point average and the written essay. Secondary emphasis will be placed on financial need, community service, relevant organizational memberships, internships, coursework and samples of student work. The Scholarship Committee is comprised of AAFB Board Members and/or local industry professionals.
- Apply online
- Current resume (Please include internships and/or work experience and list of community activities)
- High school or college transcript (award subject to review of official transcript)
- Two written letters of recommendation, one must be from a professor or teacher
- Samples of creative, technical or business skills relating to advertising industry that include, but are not limited to, broadcast production, video editing, copywriting, animation, print design and production, still or motion photography, collateral design, marketing plans and strategies, branding strategies, public relations, web design and content development, and new media development. Please let us know what the samples were for (i.e., job, school, etc.) and the purpose of the work.
- Submit an essay (500 words or less) about “Why I want a career in advertising.” We are also interested in knowing where you see yourself five years after graduation and also how this scholarship will help you achieve your goals.
SUBMIT SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS TO:
American Advertising Federation Baltimore
2800 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, Virginia 22314